Photos
Book
Collection
Videos
Virtual Tours
Pin It Share
Legislature Steam Engine

Skinner Steam Engine

circa 1950s


The Skinner Steam Engine drove the GE generator at the Alberta Legislative Assembly building beginning in 1951.

It was a three-cylinder Unaflow Engine that allowed the admission of steam to the top and bottom of the steam cylinder. Exhaust was released from the center of the cylinder.

Steam admission was by poppet valves via a camshaft.

The Skinner Steam Engine was installed in 1951 and continued running until 1996.

Also in 1996, it was moved to the grounds of the Leduc West Antique Society.

Specifications

  • Manufacturer: Skinner Engine Company, Erie, Pennsylvania
  • Serial No.: 12020
  • Model: DV 3
  • Diameter Cylinder: 19"
  • Stroke: 16"
  • Rotations per minute (RPM): 327
  • IHP: 1230
  • Steam Pressure: 175
  • Inlet temperature: 377 F
  • Back Press: 5 lb

Photos of the Skinner Engine  and Generator taken in the 1980s

 

 


Author: ephf

Edmonton Power Historical Foundation is a non-profit society dedicated to preserving the history of electric power in the City of Edmonton and the Province of Alberta, for the education and entertainment of current and future generations.

Edmonton Power Historical Foundation

Hours of operation 2021

We are happy to announce that with the easing of Covid restrictions, the Edmonton Power Historical Foundation museum will be open to the public for the first time since March 2020! On August 21, 2021 the Leduc West Antique Society will open it's gates to the public for the fall Tractor Pull, and on September 17 & 18 LWAS will be hosting the Lesco Distributors Pro Show n' Shine for Semi Trucks. The EPHF museum will be open for both these events, so come on out and visit us!

We are located on the grounds of the Leduc West Antique Museum. Travel 5 miles west of Leduc on Highway 39. Go north on Range Road 260 (Cohne Dale Road) for about a mile and the museum will be on your right.

Leave us a message

 
 
Top