Photos
Book
Collection
Videos
Virtual Tours
Pin It Share

 

 

Candles to Kilowatts

 

 

The Story of Edmonton's Power Company

Candles to Kilowatts: The Story of Edmonton's Power Company, written by Heather Marshall and Debbie Culbertson, documents the history of Edmonton Power and shows the company's close connection to the City of Edmonton.

In fact, Edmonton Power existed even before Edmonton was incorporated as a town and the two entities have had a mutually beneficial relationship over the years.

The growth of Edmonton resulted in an ever-increasing demand for electricity.

At the same time, the availability of electricity helped the city grow and develop.

Throughout the 20th Century, one constant was the utility's drive to be on the leading edge of technological innovations.

The Rossdale Power Plant, the generating station that has been located in Edmonton's river valley throughout the city's history, boasted one of the world's first 10,000-kW turbo-generators in 1928.

In 1931, Rossdale had the largest steam boiler in Canada.

By 1941, Rossdale was Canada's largest thermal plant.

When Rossdale was converted to natural gas in the late 1950's, the new turbine units were the largest of their kind to be installed in Canada at that time.

The Clover Bar station, built in the 1970's, was the first power generating facility in North America to have a spring-supported foundation table installed beneath the turbine generators.

The tradition of innovation and leadership continues to this day.

Edmonton's power company is now the only Alberta company to be involved in every aspect of power generation: transmission, distribution and sales.

It also sells water to Edmonton and 40 surrounding communities.

The utility is now expanding into British Columbia, Ontario, and Washington State and has assets valued at over two billion dollars.

Edmonton Power has come a long way since its days as a little light and power company providing service to a seven-block stretch of downtown Edmonton for only limited hours between sunset and sunrise.

More than a century later, the sun still hasn't set on this company.

Click to download individual chapters:

Click for text only version of book

Edmonton Power Historical Foundation

Hours of operation 2021

The Lesco Distributors Pro Show n' Shine for Semi Trucks on September 18 was a resounding success, and with that the EPHF museum will be closing for the season (except for visit by appointment). But the Leduc West Antique Society grounds will once again open for the Leduc Country Christmas Lights in December 2021. It promises to be another breathtaking stroll through a magical winter wonderland. Come on out and visit us!

We are located on the grounds of the Leduc West Antique Museum. Travel 5 miles west of Leduc on Highway 39. Go north on Range Road 260 (Cohne Dale Road) for about a mile and the museum will be on your right.

Leave us a message

 
 
Top