Photos
Book
Collection
Videos
Virtual Tours
Pin It Share

Parsons Turbine

Steam Turbine


In Sept of 2010 with EPCOR's help we saved some of #10 Turbine

Thanks to Hazco, the demolition team  We saved:

The Turbine Bearing Block,

HP Casing & Rotor and the LP Rotor

 

 

Dec -   Items were moved to the   Low Pressure Plant

Feb -      Rotor Flanges Separated

Apr -   Stands Fabricated

Jun -   Concrete Pad Poured

Jul -     Items Moved to Museum

  • Rossdale had 7 C. A. Parsons steam powered turbine generators.
  • In 1927 a 10,000 kilowatt Parsons turbine generator was installed
  • A 15,000 kilowatt Parsons turbine was installed in 1939.
  • a the second 15,000 kW unit in 1944.
  • Two (2) 30,000 kW Parsons units were installed in 1949 and 1953 respectively.
  • Two (2) 75,000 kW Parsons units were installed in 1963 and 1966 respectively.
  • Charles A Parsons was the inventor of the multi stage reaction turbine in 1884
  • In 1927 a 10,000 kilowatt Parsons Turbine generator was installed in Rossdale
  • This was the largest Parsons generator in the world to run at 3600 rpm
  • Sir Charles and Lady Parsons travelled from England to Edmonton to commission the unit.

Author: ephf

Edmonton Power Historical Foundation is a non-profit society dedicated to preserving the history of electric power in the City of Edmonton and the Province of Alberta, for the education and entertainment of current and future generations.

Edmonton Power Historical Foundation

Hours of operation 2021

We are happy to announce that with the easing of Covid restrictions, the Edmonton Power Historical Foundation museum will be open to the public for the first time since March 2020! On August 21, 2021 the Leduc West Antique Society will open it's gates to the public for the fall Tractor Pull, and on September 17 & 18 LWAS will be hosting the Lesco Distributors Pro Show n' Shine for Semi Trucks. The EPHF museum will be open for both these events, so come on out and visit us!

We are located on the grounds of the Leduc West Antique Museum. Travel 5 miles west of Leduc on Highway 39. Go north on Range Road 260 (Cohne Dale Road) for about a mile and the museum will be on your right.

Leave us a message

 
 
Top