Photos
Book
Collection
Videos
Virtual Tours
Pin It Share

Parsons Turbine

Steam Turbine


In Sept of 2010 with EPCOR's help we saved some of #10 Turbine

Thanks to Hazco, the demolition team  We saved:

The Turbine Bearing Block,

HP Casing & Rotor and the LP Rotor

 

 

Dec -   Items were moved to the   Low Pressure Plant

Feb -      Rotor Flanges Separated

Apr -   Stands Fabricated

Jun -   Concrete Pad Poured

Jul -     Items Moved to Museum

  • Rossdale had 7 C. A. Parsons steam powered turbine generators.
  • In 1927 a 10,000 kilowatt Parsons turbine generator was installed
  • A 15,000 kilowatt Parsons turbine was installed in 1939.
  • a the second 15,000 kW unit in 1944.
  • Two (2) 30,000 kW Parsons units were installed in 1949 and 1953 respectively.
  • Two (2) 75,000 kW Parsons units were installed in 1963 and 1966 respectively.
  • Charles A Parsons was the inventor of the multi stage reaction turbine in 1884
  • In 1927 a 10,000 kilowatt Parsons Turbine generator was installed in Rossdale
  • This was the largest Parsons generator in the world to run at 3600 rpm
  • Sir Charles and Lady Parsons travelled from England to Edmonton to commission the unit.

Author: ephf

Edmonton Power Historical Foundation is a non-profit society dedicated to preserving the history of electric power in the City of Edmonton and the Province of Alberta, for the education and entertainment of current and future generations.

Edmonton Power Historical Foundation

Hours of operation 2021

Unfortunately, due to the uncertainty surrounding the novel corona virus global pandemic, the EPHF museum will remain closed until Alberta Health Services restrictions are eased.  At this point, the best we can hope for is to be open for the 2021 LWAS Fall Provincial Tractor Pull and Harvest, tentatively scheduled for Sept 11, 2021. Please check back for further updates, as the Covid 19 situation is constantly in flux.

We are located on the grounds of the Leduc West Antique Museum. Travel 5 miles west of Leduc on Highway 39. Go north on Range Road 260 (Cohne Dale Road) for about a mile and the museum will be on your right.

Leave us a message

 
 
Top