Learn more about Electricity
Welcome to the Edmonton Power Historical Foundation Student Centre!
This section of the website is for students of all ages, but is specifically geared towards those in Grade 5 who are studying electricity.
Student Powerpoint Presentations
We are proud to show you the following presentations submitted by some local students. Take a look!
Flash Quizzes click button to launch
How much you know about electricity?
- What is an electron? View Answer
- A negatively charged part of an atom.
- What is a Conductor? View Answer
- Anything an electrical current can pass through easily.
- What is a battery? View Answer
- A device that stores electricity.
- Is an eraser an insulator, conductor, or resistor? View Answer
- Is a scissor blade an insulator, resistor, conductor? View Answer
- Is a quarter an insulator, resistor, conductor? View Answer
- Is pencil lead a insulator, resistor, or conductor? View Answer
- What is electricity? View Answer
- Energy created when electrons flow in a circuit.
- What is an Insulator? View Answer
- Material that electricity has trouble flowing through.
- Why shouldn't we play near substations? View Answer
- If there's a substation in your neighborhood, it's important to steer clear. There's a lot of high-voltage electricity inside - and you don't even have to touch anything inside to get hurt.
- What is a Circuit? View Answer
- A complete path for an electric current.
- What is a Resistor? View Answer
- Part of a circuit that slows electron flow.
- Why don't birds get shocked when they sit on power lines? View Answer
- Birds don't get electrocuted when they land on a power line because they are only touching one of the wires. If they were to touch two (or more) of the wires at the same time they WOULD get electrocut
Want to find out more about how electricity works? We've chosen some links that will help you out.
- BBC - Schools - Pod's Mission
This link provides information about Electricity
- Science Fair Project Ideas
A large list of energy and science activities for K-12.
- Make your own lightning!
Step by step instruction telling you how to your own lightning!
- Electric Lemon
Think you can make electricity from a lemon? Well you can! Learn how!
- Energy Quest
Tons of puzzles, quizzes, games, movies and interactive stuff for students.